Source: Italian consulate of Los Angeles

U. S. citizens wishing to be married in Italy must appear with two witnesses before the Ufficiale di Stato Civile (Civil Register) of the city or town where they plan to get married and make a declaration of their intention to marry. In order to apply for such declaration the couple must present the following documents:

1. A valid U.S. passport or identification card and permission to marry issued by Commander if member of the Armed Forces

2. Certified copies of bride and groom’s birth certificates in “long form” (which includes the names of both parents), translated into Italian and legalized with the “APOSTILLE” seal issued by the Office of the Secretary of State of the State where the birth took place. Please note that an “APOSTILLE” is not the same thing as a “raised seal” but is a very special type of seal that must be specifically requested.

3. If applicable Final Judgement of Divorce or death certificate of previous spouse, translated into Italian and legalized with the “APOSTILLE” seal issued by the Office of the Secretary of State of the State where the divorce or the death took place

4. If applicable sworn statement of consent to the marriage by the parents or legal guardian, if the U.S. citizen is under 18 years of age.

5. An affidavit (Atto Notorio), sworn to by two witnesses, who must be over 18 and unrelated to either the bride or the groom, stating that according to the laws to which the citizen is subject to in the United States, he/she is not prohibited from marrying and he/she is not in any of the conditions that according to the Italian Civil Code forbid marriage.

6. This affidavit can be sworn in the U.S. before the Italian Consulate that has jurisdiction over the State where he/she live or in Italy before a Notary or the “Pretura” (Magistrate Court) in the city where the marriage will take place.

7. A declaration, sworn to by the U.S. citizen before an American Consular Officer in Italy,) stating that according to the laws to which the citizen is subject to in the United States there is no obstacle to his/her marriage in Italy. Please call the U.S. Consulate nearest to the city in Italy were you intend to get married at the phone numbers provided below to schedule an appointment.

ROME: United States Embassy, Via Vittorio Veneto, 119A, 00187….Tel: (06) 46741 Fax: (06) 488-2672
FLORENCE: U.S. Consulate General, Lungarno A. Vespucci, 38. 50123….Tel: (055) 239-8276 Fax: (055)284-088
GENOVA: U.S. Consulate General, Banca d’America e d’Italia Building, Piazza Portello, 6. 16124….Tel: (010) 282-741 Fax: (010) 290-027
MILAN: U.S. Consulate General, Via Principe Amedeo, 2/10, 20121….Tel: (02) 290-045-59 Fax: (02) 290-011-65
NAPLES: U.S. Consulate General, Piazza della Repubblica, 80122….Tel: (081) 583-8111 Fax: (081) 761-1869
PALERMO: U.S. Consulate General, Via Vaccarini, 1.90143….Tel: (091) 343532 Fax: (091) 343-546

Please note that all the documents above stated need to be translated into Italian and the translation certified by the Italian Consulate.

In order to have an “Atto Notorio” issued by this Consulate applicants must schedule an appointment giving at least two weeks notice. To request an Atto Notorio please fill out the Information sheet you will find at the end of this page and send back to this Office along with a photocopy of an I.D. of bride, groom and the two witnesses and a money order for amount of the fee due. After sending the information sheet please call to arrange an appointment with the Consular Officer in charge of the service.

Once the Declaration is made is usually necessary for banns to be posted at the local Comune (City Hall) for two consecutive Sundays before the marriage may take place. However, the Ufficiale di Stato Civile usually waives banns if neither party to the marriage is an Italian citizen and if neither is residing in Italy.
On the fourth day following the second Sunday on which the banns are posted or any time after the banns have been waived (usually three business days after the declaration to marry before the Civil Register are required), the couple may be married, either in a civil ceremony or a religious one.
A civil ceremony is performed by the Ufficiale di Stato Civile or one of his assistants. If a religious ceremony is performed by a Roman Catholic priest, a separate civil ceremony is not required, but the priest must register the marriage with the Ufficiale di Stato Civile in order for it to be legal. Under Article 13 of the Canon Law, a priest who performs a marriage is required to register the marriage with the Ufficio di Stato Civile within five days of the marriage.
The Catholic Church, incidentally, requires documentation in addition to the documents listed above, such as baptismal and confirmation certificates (For full information consult your parish priest).
Because of the special Italian requirements applicable to marriages performed by non Roman Catholic clergymen, the latter usually insist on a civil ceremony prior to performing the religious one so as to ensure the legality of the marriage. A couple wishing to be married in a religious ceremony in Italy, and which has already been married in a civil ceremony in the U.S., must communicate the latter to the priest. The priest will not send the marriage record to the office of Stato Civile in the Italian city, since the ceremony was religious only and the civil marriage took place in the U.S.
Persons planning a religious ceremony should consult with the priest, minister or rabbi as far in advance of the ceremony as possible.
If the wife is an American citizen and wishes to have her PASSPORT AMENDED to read in her married name, she should go to the American Embassy or the nearest American Consulate with the civil certificate of marriage issued by the Comune and her passport.
If a CIVIL CERTIFICATE is required immediately after the ceremony, it must be requested in advance at the time of making an appointment for the ceremony (a fee per copy is charged) otherwise it may take weeks. The certificate should be requested at the Anagrafe, “Archivio dello Stato Civile,”.

PLEASE NOTE: Fees And times are subject to change, please check in advance. This Consulate General will accept requests to process the appropriate documentation for U.S. citizens wishing to be married in Italy ONLY for residents of this consular jurisdiction (Evidence of residency must be submitted).


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s